Saturday, October 23, 2010

Watching Arab Film "We Were Communists"



I am privileged to watch a documentary about "Communism" in Arab World. This is in line with the recent Abu-Dhabi Film Festival. We were communists - is the title of the film. Actually, there's a bunch of movies in line some are french, Italian, Latin etc to name a few but  I chose this one because of the fact that I am living here in Arab Country (as in in flesh and blood).  So I assumed that Nobody will watch the film or either just majority of Arabs. But then I was wrong, the people who I have seated with are English, Americans and Canadians. They are curious about the film and so am I.

All this years I thought that  the conflicts here in middle east like Palestinian War or Lebanon Civil War etc is something about Islamic struggle or the curtail of Islam Rights of not giving them the right to live etc. but I was wrong because with in their culture or their country, there are some Idealists or Marxists would like to shape or lead their country in a better form of government with out embracing this being Muslim or dragging the issue of Islam etc. Something that they want all of their people to be fair in terms of wealth, status etc and that no one rise above from the other like Rich or Poor etc.

Anyway, about the movie, first I feel the movie is a bit boring, full of story telling and just a vivid pictures or scenery's of Lebanon -where the location of the story. Actually the movie is about five men who join the communist party during the 80's civil war and now they are reunited because one of them came back in Lebanon and as a Film Director in France he would like to create a documentary about communism why they join, why the communism in Lebanon dies or vanish into thin air and also recollecting of their pasts. Sometimes the scene was a bit blurry or maybe its the way the director would like to portray.

As I am about to sleep or go, suddenly the film showed a very heart warming and moving scene where I think its really happening until now. The scene is a chilly or freezing night in a hilly village when suddenly a large scale spotlight with an echo sound is moving right and fro and monitoring the movement of  the whole village but, not by their government but by an  Israeli government because this village is a boundary between Israel and Lebanon. Something that with in me as a democrat or believer of suffrage to vote, to be free etc awaken or ignite my sympathetic feelings that I cried buckets and that when I realized that was  the syllogism of the movie why the narrator joined the communism party and also that is what he wants to convey that there is every logical or compelling reasons why some people join or fight for any cause or movement in this unfair world. End of the film. Around of applause followed. I hope the film wins.

3 comments:

Bonangskie said...

I have to watch this film then...but I don't get the analogy....of joining Communism or being a communist in an Arab world, in parallel with the geo-political issue of Israeli occupation/border surveillance....there has to be clarity in the symbiosis between these two issues, in the context of modern Lebanon.

eDreGiN said...

Haha! As in ano to mga communism churvaness! Iton na nuan si Lola V nagmama! Hahaha! Hay naku Langga you better watch Flawless, lol!

rozard said...

HAHAHAHAH KAY ITON C LOLA V ISA SAB ITON KA COMMUNISTA CHINELYN!!!! YA LAM GAZUD CZA KA CONVINCE NAN MGA NPA HAHAHAHA

Bloglovin moi!

Follow ROZARD’S OUTBURST

Pages

My Daily Sermons

lookbook